by Jade and Kath Woodd
• 1 can chickpeas
• 1 cup organic caster sugar
• 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon corn starch
• 1 can Nature’s Charm Coconut Whipping Cream
• Seasonal Fruits for topping
1. The night before, place chickpeas and coconut whipping cream in the fridge. 2. The next day, preheat oven to 100 C, and draw a large circle (1 did 20cm) on baking paper. Place on baking tray (pencil side down) and set aside. Drain chickpea water (this is called the aquafaba) through a fine sieve into a very clean, large mixing bowl (reserve chickpeas for other meals).
3. Using an electric beater, beat aquafaba on low until foamy.
Add apple cider vinegar and continue to beat on medium until soft
peaks form (and the beaters leave ribbons through the mix).
4. Continuing to beat on medium, dump 1/3 of the sugar into the mix
and beat until it becomes very glossy. At this point, add 1 tablespoon of
sugar at a time, raining it in. Beat for 30s between each addition.
5. Once all sugar has been added, beat, beat, beat! You cannot
overbeat aquafaba. You want the mix VERY thick, and very glossy.
6. Once you’ve reached this point, sift in corn flour and almond extract. Gentle fold through.
7. Dollop the Pavalova mix around the prepared baking paper circle,
creating a wreath.
8. Bake for 1.5-2.5 hours, then turn off the oven and let cool completely.
The Pavalova should easily peel of the paper when ready.
9. Top with Nature’s Charm Coconut Whipping Cream and seasonal
fruits! (I made raspberry compote)